Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Exposure

Being a wife of a Naval Officer not only brings in lots of comforts, but also quite a bit of  responsibilities too. One is expected to be formally dressed up at various occassions, be on time at the party's or functions, keep in track of each other (other ladies of the same unit) from time to time and even organize events (depending on lot of factors, difficult to explain, as it is I hate typing so much)

Such a methodological life style instills a lot in one's self because of a quality exposure. Speaking for myself I feel far more confident and independent than ever before. Most importantly I feel now I am more caring towards others than what I used to be.

 Let me share today's event. All the ladies of my husband's unit were to assemble at 4:00 PM for an informal meet with the sailor's wives. This was the first of its kind that I was to attend, so I was quite excited about it. I learnt through other senior ladies that such events are organized when the husband's are away on a duty (for many days) and we  as officer's wives must take care of sailor's wives, who unlike us don't enjoy many perks.

We reached dot on time and sailor's wives were already seated waiting for us all. I entered the hall with a big smile (very typical of me) on my face so as to give dem all a friendly attitude. And in no minutes I was talking quite frankly with most of them, asking their names, their native place etc. 

Then I begun asking them different questions as to how they spend their time, what keeps them occupied when their husband's are away. Few answered confidently, few were shy to talk about just anything. So we decided to play a game to break the ice.

Accomplishing my long lasting demand of playing dum-sha-dars ...one of the senior ladies suggested the same and in no time we got divided into two teams. Now our role was to encourage the sailor's wives to come out with the name of movies and act them out. Just a way to take their shyness away. I was as usual thrilled to play one of my fav indoor game...And like a teacher (rather a Headmistress)I made my group understand the game and get started with a list of difficult movies. 

And to the hts of my excitement, our group won the game, although we all got to eat the same stuff (samosas, cream biscuits, wafers, kalakand. tea) but I could see a beam of victory in my team's eyes.

At the end of the day, I could clearly see smiles on everyone's face. I am so glad that I got to attend this small sweet event that gave me chance to understand, share, laugh with other ladies who perhaps lead more difficult and less priveleged life than me. 

I am so happy.. What a start for this New year......


No comments:

Post a Comment