Monday, June 15, 2009

Halwa rice & Malpua bhatura

I thought that since now I have no choice but to be a housewife till the time a lucratice job offer comes my way, why not be a 'good housewife'. So like a typical husband devoted Indian housewife, I planned to try out few dishes to impress my husband.

Lekin jo bas ki nhi hai, vo kabhi nhi ho sakta. I started to prepare a very basic item i.e rice. Just Imagine- Rice. Ji haan, vo bhi nhi bne..Actually not that i do not know how to prepare it, but I wanted to prepare vo starch-free rice, wherein the amount of water is 4 times the rice taken and finally the excess water is drained out. Now me being typically me, i added excessive amount of water and what came out in the end cant be penned down. Achhe khase rajma ka bhi pappu bann gya coz of those rice, I mean halwa rice. Chopsey to tab huyi when my husband came home for lunch and was so happy to learn that i have cooked rajma rice. His reaction would be stated in the end as he has by now witnessed many such incidents.

Another interesting incident was when i dared to think of making 'Bhaturas' of chole-bhature fame. With oodles of over-confidence, i kneaded the maida with yet again excessive amount of curd and left it covered as I was to prepare them for dinner. Now, when that moment arrived and I headed towards the kitchen proudly boasting of how my cooking skills would shortly be winning over my husband's heart, my husband received a 'help-me dear' call coming from the kitchen. He ran towards the kitchen, thinking I have as usual bruised my fingers with knife or hot oil (another common incident for the freshers like me). And there I was standing with such an innocent and vulnerable expression on my face, pointing at the dough as well as my hands that were covered with the 'sticky dough'. I told him that none of my attempts so far have been successful in making a decent dough ball out this 'sticky mass'. He as usual had the last laugh and I with my high headed attitude demended him to help me out. He with a 'never-give-up' personna, somehow managed to prepare dough balls (with the aid of maida flour). I was just standing besides him, very happy to help him in frying the flattened balls that came out in the form of 'malpuas'. It was a delight to have chole-malpuas for both of us ( Actually we had no choice, so we enjoyed till the last bite).

Well, having said that-i am in no mood to pull back from making fresh attempts in trying out new things. Akhir fauji ki biwi hun, wont lose hope. Soch rahi hun aur kya try karun? Any suggestions? Do share any of such similar incidents in your life.

2 comments:

  1. well done parjaai...... fauji ki biwi ko haar nahin maan ni chahiye...... iono about ur halwa rice and malpua chhole but the expressions u use are really hillarious..... i can actually imagin the scn in frnt of me.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol!!!

    Bhartiya naari!!! Kahin accha khilane ke chakar main pati ko maar na do!!!

    Call me to learn cooking ;)

    ReplyDelete